Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A New Direction



So for years, since junior high school, I've been walking or jogging around the Patrick Henry High School track in Roanoke, VA. In high school, I'd jog daily at 6am. After moving away from home, when I'd come home to visit, I'd jog or walk. The track is set into the woods, and I love listening to the birds sing, feel the warmth of the sun on my face, gaze at the mountain skyline in the distance, and express gratitude for each part of my body, helping me complete another lap. And lately, I've been practicing what I preach by visualizing outstanding health while I walk: what outstanding health feels like, what outstanding health looks like, what outstanding health sounds like, etc.

I've always walked or run in the same direction. UNTIL YESTERDAY! As I approached the track, I saw a woman jogging in the OPPOSITE direction! I watched her for a moment and thought, "WHY have I never thought to do that?" And it occurred to me how easily I get into a routine. Which serves me well, and may serve you well too! But something inside me was craving a switch in routine, so I did something radical and started walking, for the first time ever, in the opposite direction, against the grain! I smiled and mentally thanked the woman for opening a new door for me to spice things up a bit!

So starting yesterday, I'm walking in a new direction...which has inspired me to choose the movie, "Groundhog Day," with Bill Murray (remember this funny movie?) for our March movie discussion and exotic tasting! "Groundhog Day" is about doing the same thing over and over and over until you make a change towards positive growth. How sometimes it takes doing the same thing over and over and over for us to realize that we're even in a rut, and that the slightest change can get us out and in a new direction.

I encourage you to also find a way, large or small, to make a change in your life towards positive growth. Even if it's to take a slightly different route on your way to work, the store, or picking up your kid from school.

And mark your calendars for Sunday, March 10th, from 2:00 - 4:30pm, at Valley Community Church to enjoy exotic organic treats while you watch clips from "Groundhog Day" and discuss some of its messages.

Don't forget this Sunday's showing of "Chocolat," including discussion and a chocolate feast! Register by Friday the 8th in the blog below.

Have a fantastic new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment